This image is currently processing. Please be patient...
Around 800 million people in the world still go to bed on an empty stomach each night. In contrast, though, so much food are just wasted in Japan. Tokyo alone produces as much as 6,000 tons of food waste every single day. This problem should be solved very urgently.
What it does
Reharvest is an application which offers a platform where we buy stale ingredients from users, and we serve cooked food using the ingredients in a real restaurant for a reasonable price.
How I built it
We built an iOS application where users can sell stale ingredients to us. Also, users can see what menus we offer on the day. We used deep learning method to choose which menus we offer to minimize the amount of food waste from the collected stocks at Reharvest restaurants.
Challenges I ran into
- how to collect food materials from users
- Food Health problems
- We alliance with supermarket.
- Use Facebook login for individuals
- Building a deep learning system to estimate a best menu to minimize food waste. ## Accomplishments that I’m proud of
- We transform stale food which can be thrown away into a cooked food, which will reduce food waste. -## What I learned It’s really difficult to share food, because it has an expiration date.
What’s next for Reharvest
We will implement the deep learning method to learn new menus, which can reduce more food waste.