- Everyone in our tightly-knit group of misfits has, in the past, struggled with various self-destructive computer habits throughout our lives. When we were brainstorming possible ideas, we wanted to create something the not only could help ourselves, but also help the rest of modern society.
What it does
- ReFocus stops excessive use of applications and websites that promote distracting computer behavior and redirects you to more productive tasks. After exceeding your daily alloted time for a specific application or website, ReFocus will automaticaly stop the distraction and instead REdirect you to a more productive program.
How we built it
- We used Electron.js to build a desktop application out of HTML, CSS, and Javascritpt. We used Python to task kill specific websites and applications such as video games. Firebase cloudstore was also used for secure database storage on the cloud.
Challenges we ran into
- Connecting electron with python
- Deciding which frameworks would be most useful for the project
- Connecting firebase cloud store to python
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Connecting electron to python
- Connecting python and firebase
- Creating such an simple yet effective UI
- Actually solving a problem in the real world
What we learned
- How to connect electron and python
- How to use git bash
- Using the Psutil and OS python libraries
What's next for ReFocus
- Finding a better way to connect electron and python.
- Fully fleshing out all the possibilities of desktop app expansion
- Expnding to the mac os ecosystem