During the hackathon, we struggled and couldn't get the help we needed. Grabbing a mentor was like a hunt and not every mentor knows everything. So, we wanted to create an app that solves this problem.

What it does

It allows the user to choose the nearest location and send a help request in Slack. This will ping the mentors so they can come to help the user.

How we built it

We built it using Slack APIs because we wanted to reach the mentors in a convenient location. Slack is a very popular team communications app.

We created a website using HTML file using tools like Bootstrap, JSON, Ajax, and javascript to develop the web application portion of the project. We used a Webhook to communicate information from the web app to the slack application which then sent a message out to the specified slack channel.

Challenges we ran into

The main challenges that we faced through designing this are getting the webhook to work efficiently and send the proper information to the Slack app and changing the text based on which buttons were pressed by the user when they pressed the red button.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

The way we were able to stylize the web application to be clean, sophisticated, and functional without being too cluttered.

What we learned

We learned how to use Android studio because of our first failed attempt at designing this app because of the change in scope. We learned some of the Slack APIs and how slack bots work, javascript, bootstrap, google cloud platform, and docker.

What's next for RedButton

The current scope of RedButton is very small and has a lot of room to grow and become commercialized. RedButton can be expanded to include more varieties of notifications and personalized uses. The next step would be adding a login service so mentors can create their own versions of the RedButton and integrate it with their slack workstations. Another step would be expanding the integration to include other communication tools and platforms such as text messaging, discord, and iMessage

Share this project: