Most Facebook Group members are disengaged. Anecdotally, the top 80% of posts consists of 20% of the members, while the majority may never return.
Building a strong community requires immediate access to findable + excellent content, not just exposure to the most recent posts.
From our community leaders, we’ve heard many members miss important posts, while admins find it difficult the disseminate the most important content.
WHAT IT DOES
We’re bringing virtual engagement to life by making every Facebook Group a home.
Imagine every group you join is an inviting home that rolls out a red carpet for you. The host personally welcomes you to the family, serves you the best content, and shows you to the house's unique amenities.
Interest groups can now give their members the royal welcome, surfacing curated content, available with a search function.
For example, if you joined the group "Wellness Mama - Official" with 11K members, you can view week by week top posts, as well as subject-matter posts that you’re looking for (#advice, #emergency, #ask).
HOW I BUILT IT
Tech we used
- Graph API for Facebook connect, feeds fetching
- Messenger Platform for messenger plugin in website
- Foundation for css styles
CHALLENGES I RAN INTO
We had a stylish design for home, but were constrained by our team size and time limit. It could be very time consuming to get all types of feeds supported completely (status type, single attachment, multi attachment, media type)
ACCOMPLISHMENTS I'M PROUD OF
This was a one-engineer show. Thanks to Louis (Kwan), we came up with a working prototype & a whole user story in less than 14 hours.
WHAT I LEARNED
Lessons from the community leaders. Their insight was enlightening and they shared real problems they are facing when running Facebook communities.
WHAT'S NEXT FOR GROUP HOMES
- Email lists be-gone. Integrated group bots will now send top weekly digests via messenger
- Robust admin curation tools for homes
- Member-only sponsors (eg 10% off at Trader Joes, free first Barre3 class, BOGO at Gymboree for “Wellness Mama”), allowing a triple symbiosis. Users will feel a strong identity to their new home, Facebooks Groups will attract and retain more users, and sponsors have a high-conversion acquisition channel.
- VR content in homes that everyone can immerse in the best content
- Native group storefronts that sell their own branded goods to their members