RecycleThis is a mobile game for kids to teach them about recycling.\ The goal of the player is to correctly sort as many items as possible in 1 minute. If you put an item in the wrong bin, you lose points.
- Expo CLI
Open Source Projects we used
- Download Expo app on your phone.
- Scan the QR code
- Play the game!
You should also be able to run it on an Android/iOS simulator.\ To learn more about Expo: https://reactnative.dev/docs/environment-setup
What we learned
- Building a game in React Native can be challenging (and not always recommended 😅), but since our game is pretty simple and doesn't require a lot of physics, we thought it would be interesting to try and develop one. Nobody in our group has ever built a game, so it was a nice learning experience!
- Most of us weren't familiar with React Native and mobile development in general. It was a nice surprise to see how easy and fun it is to develop a React Native app, especially using Expo. We recommend Expo to anyone who is curious about mobile development, as it is very beginner friendly.
- dealing with state management without Redux
- figuring out styling 🙄
- adding sound effects!
- implementing a global leaderboard rather than local (add database)
- adding a nicer landscape for the game's screen (mountains))
- adding multiple player / competition mode
- publishing / deploying ✨!
--> link to demo video
- a huge thank you to @lepunk for his videos and tutorials on react-native-game-engine!
- LICENSE: MIT