So it turns out a lot of people in Sydney rent, including myself. Renters look at different factors such as the price, commute time and shops nearby to choose a place.
Renters need to make a choice: whether to move to a less expensive place but with a longer commute time or vice versa? What about the extra transport cost?
What if there was a web app to compare commute time and rent price to work out whether its better to move to a new location?
What it does
RealSpeck compares potential places with rental costs and commuting time to work.
How we built it
- Ruby on Rails
- A lot of gems
Challenges we ran into
- Github: Merged branch and accidentally wiped out commits
- APIs: Not enough experience with RESTful APIs with Rails
- Algorithm: underestimated the effort to combine and implement APIs
- Team: coordination difficulties
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Homepage done and deployed on Heroku
What we learned
- Need better planning next time
What's next for RealSpeck
- Needs more time to develop