So basically what we did was scrape recipes off of the web and parse them into a step format that you can easily read on your phone. We also did some cool analysis on the data we brought in that let us do some cool procedural things. Using the AlchemyAPI we could parse through ingredient lists and identify the key portions of speech that identify the actual ingredients and the quantities that go along with them. Having that data is good because we could insert ingredient quantities into the body instructions themselves, eliminating the need to go back and forth from instructions and ingredients. We were also able to detect when recipes had a time component, so with that data we could automatically set alarms for our users based off of the amount of time their food was in the oven. If you like cooking then try our app, it is pretty fantastic!

Share this project:

Updates