What is Re:Claim?
Re:Claim is an application that optimized supply-chain management (SCM) through managing the flow of furniture components throughout the campus. With this technology, the University of Calgary can prevent reusable materials from being discarded into landfills and continue to be an industry example for responsible supply-chain management.
How does Re:Claim work?
Re:Claim analyzes and computes the most financially friendly combination of available components in order to fill orders. If the components are available when faculties make an order, the items should be removed from the stockpile and an order form should be generated accordingly.
What inspired Re:Claim?
- More parts used again means less waste ending up in our local landfills.
- Reusing parts allows for less spending on new ones, which means more funding for other programs/initiatives.
- Energy is saved all around, from part creation to disposal; optimization reduces our carbon footprint as a school.
What technologies were used to create Re:Claim?
Challenges building Re:Claim?
- Developing the algorithm for optimizing supply chain management.
- Time allocation when working on certain features.
What are we proud of?
- The ability to come together as a team even though some of us have only met each other recently.
- We were able to build out an integrated minimum viable product in less than 24 hours.
What did we learn?
- Things don't always go the way we want to the first time.
- Proper communication is essential to ensure team progress and smooth transitioning.
- How to debug efficiently.
What does the future hold?
- Increasing features and functionality.
- Having a fully working and industry-ready product.