For a UI/UX Design course at the University of Florida, our team was assigned to work with Royal Bank of Canada on redesigning their Mobile Wallet application. They felt that the application was limited in what it allowed users to accomplish and was visually outdated. They tasked us with designing an effective application capable of handling the current limited functionality as well additional features we felt brought value to the user of our own devising.

The Process

We began our process (after familiarizing ourselves with the application as it stood) by brainstorming possible pain points for users, the kinds of activities one would expect from an application of this type, the possible concerns and needs of users of a mobile wallet, and our first impressions of what needed to be changed or updated visually and functionally.

We distilled the results of these brainstorming sessions into actionable and researchable insights and questions to take to users for user research. We conducted several focus groups and interviews with a variety of typical users and gathered information on positive and negative experiences with wallet applications, preconceived notions users harbor for these sort of applications, various thoughts on possible uses for an application like this, and common use cases and ways in which a user would want to use this application.

We took this user research and developed a set of personas for common user types and a focused list of user needs to address through the design. We decided to focus on three features that we thought would bring value to users address their concerns.

We developed storyboards for each our personas, highlighting the use cases for our proposed features and how users can benefit from these uses.

After nailing down our feature proposals and navigational flow for the redesigned app, we developed high-fidelity wireframes of the final product. Using these wireframes, we built an interactive prototype usable on a mobile device for hand-on testing with users and invaluable feedback on usability.

Finally, we documented the process and proposed design on a full-size poster for presentation to the representatives from Royal Bank of Canada.

A Learning Experience

This was the first time any of our team was delving into Interaction or Experience Design, and the first real world test of the skills we've been developing in user research and user-focused design. As such, there was a learning curve in the beginning as we became accustomed to working with real users, iterating on ideas and making design decisions from an outside perspective.

By the end, we all learned a great deal and put together a design proposal we're very proud of. The representative loved our work, and requested our materials for presentation to his colleagues at RBC.

The Team

We were lucky to have a powerhouse team of excellent designers and thinkers. While the idea generation and design decisions were made as a team (the best way to do it) some parts were done primarily by certain members:

Joseph Pecoraro did much of the work on the storyboard creation using Sketch. He also developed the interactive prototype using Invision and put together a final video presentation for our showcase.

James Risberg designed the final proposal poster using Sketch and wrote most of its content.

Bryce Sperling created visuals displaying our user research and ran the focus groups.

Matthew Weingarten wrote most of the design document outlining our entire process and results.

Built With

Share this project: