Everyday, electricity is wasted by leaving our lights on in the house. Raven's light is here to combat that problem.

What it does

Our solution is a web based application that allows the public to track the specs of each lightbulb in their house. This allows the users to ensure that the amount of electricity wasted is decreased.

How I built it

The web app was built using the Django framework, UI features were executed using Bootstrap and graph and charts were created with Plotly.

Challenges I ran into

The main challenges were hardware related, figuring out which parts were required to build the light switch system. Determining how the relay worked and determining the amount of power required for the system.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Regarding the web app; the creation of the graphs was a difficult task to complete. And the hardware; we didn't have enough power, so we made a power source using double A batteries.

What we learned

We learnt the importance of problem solving and how to leverage data from databases to produce toggle switches. We came from various tech backgrounds but we all learned a new way of transferring data, whether it be through using jinja or hardware. Overall, we worked well as a team and learnt a lot from one another.

What's next for Raven's Light

  • Create a more user friendly site.
  • Test this webapp in homes to ensure accurate results.
  • Clean up the look of the hardware.
Share this project: