The dataset has been collected from Kaggle. It has 3 parts and in this hackathon I am dealing with first part which is related to death killings and police encounters. This was my first time participating in a vizathon and the track of Social Justice felt interesting to me and that is why I decided to investigate this dataset and gain some insights:)
What it does
The project has a jupyter notebook where I have explained my findings and it also has an interactive dashboard that is built using Dash. You can.
- Analyze the fatal encounters from 2000-2020
- Analyze the death arrests that happened, also by race
- Analyze the causes of death in these encounters
- We could also analyze the races who faced these encounters and much more at https://police-crimes-viz.herokuapp.com/
Snapshot of the Dash App
How we built it
I first had to find a dataset and finally after looking for hours I was able to settle on one that I liked. Having zero idea about Dash, I had to learn it so that I could build something that was interactive and fun to use. But I was able to do all of this and enjoy my first vizathon as well:)
Challenges we ran into
- Understanding how dash works were tough but I tried my best to do it in the limited time I had
- Apart from that, it was a bit hard to make it interactive and lots of googling were involved in this
- Finding the correct dataset that suited my interests was also important and I am glad that I was able to find one
Accomplishments that we're proud of
I am really proud that I was able to learn how to use Dash in a short amount of time and build something good. Honestly, at first, I was going to give up but then I decided to keep on going and I am happy that I did.
What we learned
- Learned how to use Dash
- Learned how to deploy Dash apps
- I also learned about how to plot geomaps using Plotly
- Lastly, learned what a Vizathon is(I guess..)
What's next for Racial Equity
Animation is really cool and it would be like a story-telling for the data if I could do that. I did come across some examples but since time was less, I decided not to do it but that is definitely coming up next!