COVID-19 has caused massive damage to the restaurant industry. Restaurants are being forced to close while their staff - servers, cooks, cashiers, kitchen staff - are being laid off by the millions. QUICKSHIFT's goal is to get as many of these impacted folks back into the restaurant industry once lock-down has been lifted.

What it does

It's like Uber for hiring restaurant staff. Folks seeking work as a server, cashier or kitchen staff sign-up for QUICKSHIFT, similar to drivers on Uber or shoppers on Instacart. Restaurant managers can then use the app to quickly hire these trained workers to work in their restaurants, whether it be for a single shift or multiple shifts.

Restaurant owners can efficiently scale their workforce in response to disruptions such as COVID-19 and minimize overhead from employment paperwork by using QUICKSHIFT. Workers are able to quickly change their work routines in response to disruptions. As they're no longer bound to any specific restaurant - or even city - they can work anywhere they choose .

Finally, QUICKSHIFT addresses workplace conditions, especially during challenging times such as COVID-19. Workers will have the opportunity to review restaurants after every shift, introducing an entirely new level of accountability.

How I built it

I'm building QUICKSHIFT with React, JavaScript, HTML and CSS. It uses Material UI for styling and is deployed on Heroku.

Challenges I ran into

I'm accustomed to developing applications intended for desktop. This was my first ever mobile-first application which forced me to rethink layout and usability.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

This was my first time using Material UI, and I'm proud I was able to get a hang of it quickly.

What I learned

I learned a great deal of Material UI and planning out user flows, especially on a time crunch.

What's next for QUICKSHIFT

The current implementation is a demo prototype. The next step is to build it as a full-fledged mobile application, most likely by porting it over to React-Native.

Share this project: