- 3D touch in iPhone 6S.
- Right click menu in the desktop world
What it does
- Provides a 3D touch like experience for Android phones without any integration with App Developers.
- Hovering over Maps will show you actions like - "Drive to Home, MyLocation". If the user chooses "My Location", maps is opened showing user's location.
- Hovering over LinkedIN, you get actions - "Your Profile, Updates, Compose". Choosing "Your Profile" opens your profile directly which was otherwise 3-4 taps away.
- We have shortlisted popular apps like (fb, linkedin, twitter, maps, phone) as of now.
- Hovering over a link in twitter, gives a peek into the content in a window which destroys automatically in 5 sec if the user doesn't want to read post the summary. It is super fast for the user to look at multiple links without jumping out of twitter, once the user starts reading a link the auto-destroy isn't effective and control goes back to user.
Reaching the Team
@SerialHackers - Follow us for more nerdy and cool stuff : https://twitter.com/SerialHackers
Is lt live?
Yes you can download it here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.quicly.android
How I built it
- We use Android Overlays to provide a small icon, hovering over HomeScreen and inside any app.
- Once the user drags the QuickActions icon on top of an app-icon/link, we use Android Accessibility Service to scrape the screen context (Icon Name/Link Text)
- We reverse engineered popular android apps to discover their deep links.
- Clicking on an action we open the app with the deep link.
Challenges I ran into
- Screen scraping using Accessibility Service to get the right app name.
- Discover deep links of apps. Tried using SDK's from URX, deeplink.me but we had to fallback to reverse engineering the apps to discover deep links.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Super simple 3D touch like experience for end-users without hardware costs/developer integration.
What I learned
- Deep concepts of Android
What's next for QuickActions
- Launch in play-store, get users, get feedback and iterate.