Inspiration

We wanted to focus on an ecologically-focused data project that could benefit the community.

What it does

Plots Urbana tree inventory data against census tracts to allow for analysis of demography, income, property value, and trees present.

How we built it

We used Urbana tree inventory data, Census data, and R to put together plots.

Challenges we ran into

Data cleaning and preparation was extremely tough for this project. Formatting for geotagging was not consistent across different sources such as Urbana, government, and other GIS data sources.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We were able to convert everything, including some strange and arbitrary XY coordinate systems, to latitude and longitude in order to plot our trees onto a map.

What we learned

We learned that data cleaning and prep can be the hardest part of any project :P

What's next for PygHack CU Trees

Converting the static plots to dynamic and filterable plots using D3 on an interactive site.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates