Inspiration: The Infamous wall
- Difficult to access
- Difficult to read
- Existence is hidden
What We Did
- Created a template that stores meeting information in a PostgreSQL database and interprets that as a calendar
Challenges we ran into
- City meeting open to the public are not centralized publicly or formatted consistently
Re-evaluating the approach:
- People: Who approves the events?
- Process: How does an idea become an event?
- Product: How do we keep the process and expand transparency?
- Cost: Low monetary and time cost
- Needed: Change champions in the city
- Trajectory: City of Houston moving towards open data
What's next for Public City Meetings
- Meet with Public City:
- Better Understand the current process to avoid interruptions
- Adjust the product
- Implement current city use cases and needed data
- Adoption & Implementation
- Make web app extensible to other local public offices (city councillors, HPD, etc.)