The one thing that behavioural therapists work with, more than anything else, is data, and lots of it. The data is always recorded by hand, and kept in huge binders. When faced with years' worth of information hidden in stacks and stacks of paper, therapists often struggle to come to firm conclusions on the most effective ways to treat a patient. Our goal is to create a tool that helps therapists be more productive in the workplace, and to help them create more valuable methods for treating a child, helping the child develop, and reducing the amount of time and money the families and children must invest.
What it does
Psyconnect allows therapists to schedule, plan, execute, and analyze appointments in one place. Therapists can book an appointment for a child on a specific date, plan out the different tasks they wish to complete with the child, use the app during appointments to record observations, and finally analyze the data they record.
How we built it
The mobile app was created with C#, .NET and Xamarin. We also used the Syncfusion Charts library to create graphs in Xamarin. Relational Database was made in Node.JS and MySQL.
Challenges we ran into
- Learning Xamarin, C#, and .NET programming on the spot. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of frustration.
- Learning how to effectively run a database, especially setting up the algorithms for communicating with it
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Learning an entire language over the course of the hackathon
- Creating an app with the potential to help thousands of people
What we learned
- C#, .NET and Xamarin
- How to setup our own database
- How to work with HTTP and communicate over the 'net
- Intensive Behavioural Intervention
What's next for Psyconnect
- Sharing information with parents and clinical supervisors
- Displaying data in more ways (e.g. tables)
- Task suggestions (We couldn't implement it in time!)
- Improved security measures to protect patient data
- Make the app prettier