Inspiration

Polar vortex and the current surge in need of homeless resources inspired the Plastic Chickens to solve this problem.

What it does

Project Reach helps people to find out the organizations and charities that are close to a natural disaster so that people who want to help could easily connect with the right charities/organizations at the right time.

How we built it

We used Google Maps API, Google App Engine, Google Cloud storage. The website itself was created and designed using HTML, CSS, and Javascript. We harnessed the capabilities of the Google Geocoding API to convert addresses to geo-coordinates, integrating these features into an editable map that populates with places that are in need of help and the organizations that can be of help.

Challenges we ran into

1) RSS feeds stopped working 2) Sometimes the Google Cloud Platform was giving problems 3) App engine failing to deploy applications 4) git merge conflicts 5) CORS errors external data sources 6) Google Places failed to work 7) FTP errors

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We got coordinates to work with Google Maps API, fixed a lot of bug issues on Google App engine, figured out how to interact with weather data from different sources and had a lot of fun.

What we learned

There were a lot of firsts for our team, with one team member attending their first hackathon. We learned how to integrate multiple APIs into a web application and website hosting.

What's next for Project Reach/Plastic Chickens Table - 16

Compile a better-evaluated database of charities and organizations that can help in the times of need. Also, we plan to further integrate other features of Snap kit by Snapchat (which is in beta), where people could share their contribution with their friends and family.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates