We linked up with a volunteer from an organization, Transformation Canada, that was looking for an app to cover the streets of Canada in prayer and show current places people are praying for. We want this app to make a difference by encouraging prayers and blessing and thus reducing disease and violence in areas prayed for, God willing. We hope that this app can expand and could make a huge impact. A similar initiative in the New York and New Jersey area led to ~80% of streets being covered by prayers and, after a few months, an ~80% drop in crime rates. For the first time in 35 years, the region has become murder-free. God's blessings are powerful.
What it does
Our app's goal is to allow for many to be blessed by prayers. When the user opens up the app, they will be able to look at statistics on coronavirus cases in different provinces and the need for prayer as relief. Based on this, people can mark areas that they are praying for and leave a short well-wishing note for that area. Others can click on those markers and indicate that they are praying there as well.
How we built it
- Flutter to build the app
- Google Maps plugin to display the map
- Apify API to get data on recent Covid-19 cases
- Firebase backend
Challenges we ran into
- We couldn't really find any super detailed data for Covid-19, so we currently display current data
- Mess of async programming, a lot of errors came up
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Super clean UI
- Successfully using Google Maps
- Successfully transformed and displayed Firebase data
What we learned
We learned more about the Dart language and learned more about using Firebase and got more experience with Google Maps. Samuel realized that making models for databases is much better than what he was doing before.
What's next for Project Prayer
- Create more detailed statistics for Covid-19, and later for crimes, violence, and general poverty.
- A few bugfixes.