Github Link: https://github.com/KeshavBhadauria-VT/HackViolet2023
According to a study conducted by Utility Design, 6.5 million people left their lights on resulting in 37,440,000 kg carbon dioxide emission per day. This is equal to 62 flights around the world!
We wanted to solve this problem by creating an application to easily manage smart plugs.
What it does
- Create an account and add your plugs.
- Manage your plugs with easy on/off switches.
- View beautiful graphs on how much emissions you saved.
- Add your friends and see how much everyone saves.
- Allows user to select a location for the plug and the plug will turn off when user leaves that location and turns on when the user arrives at the location.
- Along with gps tracking, the program takes into count what time of day it is, if it is light out side and at location the light will not turn on
How we built it
We built the application using Flask to interact with the plugs, Firebase to authenticate and store users, and React + Next for the frontend.
Challenges we ran into
Some challenges we ran into was learning how to use Firebase to read/write data and integrating everything together. This is because we have limited experience with Firebase.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We are proud that we were able to create a functioning application with good UI/UX that is able to control the plugs.
What we learned
We learned how to develop a Flask server, integrate Firebase Database, and create an awesome UI with React.js and Next.js.
What's next for Green Plug?
The next step for our project is to further develop the features and improve the UI/UX.
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.