Inspiration for Prod20
We all have been affected by the current COVID-19 pandemic. Due to this unfortunate situation , students have shifted to online classes and adults have shifted online workspace Digital innovation is expected to have many positive outcomes in the future of education. However, there is concern among ophthalmologists that increased screen time, together with a significant reduction of the time spent outdoors, might further accelerate the myopia epidemic.
This lead to Making of 20/20/20 rule which inspires a person to look away every 20 minutes at an object that is about 20 feet away for a full 20 seconds. This lead to the making of Prod20
Why is there a need for Prod20
- We all have been affected by the current COVID-19 pandemic. However, the impact of the pandemic and its consequences are felt differently depending on our status as individuals and as members of society. While some try to adapt to working online, homeschooling their children and ordering food via Instacart , others have no choice but to be exposed to the virus while keeping society functioning
- Due to this unfortunate situation , students have shifted to online classes and adults have shifted online workspace Digital innovation is expected to have many positive outcomes in the future of education. However, there is concern among ophthalmologists that increased screen time, together with a significant reduction of the time spent outdoors, might further accelerate the myopia epidemic
How the Prod20 works
We have used Google Firebase authentication to login for the user .You can also use the guest option or login with email. We have 2 different themes for our app. You can check out more info about Prod20 Video here and PowerPoint Here is the link where You can try the App
What does Prod20 do?
The app contains 3 different Timers which helps us to insinuate a little breaks throughout their work hours. This app has 3 different features:-
Twenty Rule Timer:
Set a timer to remind you to look away every 20 minutes at an object that is about 20 feet ** away for a full **20 seconds. It helps you reduce your eye strain and prevent eye dryness.
Sedimentary Timer which reminds a person to stand up and walk around during long hours. It helps a person maintain their health and reduce the chance of having back pain.
The Pomodoro Technique is a productivity system that stops you from procrastinating or getting distracted, so you can focus on getting stuff done. It helps you maintain productivity and reduce stress during long work hours
Benefits of Taking short breaks?
- It is a Simple App that helps people Reduce their screen time.
- This app also help us make sure we maintain productivity throughout the day.
- It helps to prevent eye dryness ,eye irritation headache , neck, back pain etc.
- Research has also found that short breaks throughout the day can result in being more alert. It’s no surprise to find that working long hours can lead to fatigue. We suggest regular breaks to improve your productivity and quality of work, attention levels,** awareness** and how fast you work. Your body will give you the following signals suggesting it's time to have a short break: finding it difficult to concentrate,** feeling tired*, being hungry** and** feeling restless**.
- The success of this formula comes from the fact that if you are working, you will be dedicated to the accomplishment of tasks, getting things done and making progress, whilst during your breaks, you’ll be completely removed from the work you’re doing. The ability of being able to deactivate and then reactivate allows you to stay focused.
- Guidance from the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) suggests that it's better to take shorter breaks more often at your workstation than longer breaks and less often. Research has also found that the most productive people work for 52 minutes and then take breaks for up to 17 minutes -In conclusion, it is heavily recommended to take regular breaks if you are working at your computer to increase your attention, productivity and quality of your work. Furthermore, without regular breaks, you are likely to suffer from** tension across your back, neck, shoulders and arms**.
How we built it
We started making a web app in the beginning so we used HTML ,CSS , java script and Firebase to login and then we realized making it a desktop application will be a better idea so we used electron to convert it into a desktop application
Challenges we ran into
We ran into many bugs that we were ultimately able to solve. For eg we ran into an error while putting in Active hours feature. As it was our First Hackathon we had some trouble organizing ourselves and Time management. We all are beginners in coding but we were able to manage it thankfully
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We learned how to organize ourselves and manage time which is a really important part of the Surfs Up Hacks we feel.
What's next for Prod20
We will Upgrade the UI for the Prod20 and also create an Android version for the app . We will also be making a website for the app
- App Usage Tracking
- Active window Tracking
- App Blocker
- Website Blocker
- Day Planner