As four students who have dealt extensively with the Canadian healthcare system, we knew there was an incredible room for improvement. Canada doesn’t fare well when it comes to emergency department wait times; it ranked last among the 11 countries surveyed by the OECD, with an average wait time of over four hours. Furthermore, in 2013, a US commission found that 70% of all critical events and delays in patient care could be traced to communication breakdowns.
We aim to make a social impact in the medical industry by helping patients and institutions; transforming their medical experience to be a more convenient, transparent and streamlined experience.
What it does
primeAID is medical software that intends to streamline communication and information among medical facilities. We also aim to elevate the convenience of the patient and administrative experience.
Patient Side: Patients will be able to access critical information through our web application. This information includes viewing current patient wait times, nearby medical facilities, and preliminary triage services. This will ultimately result in fewer resources being wasted, patients getting faster treatment, and an overall reduction in administrative expenses.
Administrative Side: Implemented a remote registration system that confirms a patient's registration, verifies EMR, adds to the queue connected to the same database as web-app, updates all necessary information.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
- Communicating between different languages on our backend (Solved using ajax to send requests on JS and flask to handle requests)
- Handing everything synchronously
- Communicating with the TactioAPI for the clinic side application
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Worked extremely well as a team
- Full-scale software product
- UI looks sweet
What's next for primeAID
- Build our own ML model for triage assessment
- Build patient side registration
- Contact medical institutions to get real-time, pertinent information