Every day we visit 100s of web sites. If we want them to be high-quality - we need to reward them. But it is infeasible to register and enter your credit card number on each and every of them. Why not set up a little faucet that will constantly put drops of your appreciation to everything you visit?
What it does
- You deposit some Ether to the contract (but still can withdraw everything back)
- Participating web sites register Ethereum addresses for different resources they have
- When you stay on some site - it instructs your browser to send small drops of Ether to the address of the resource that it considers "current"
You can set a hard limit to the rate at which you Ether will be draining (not implemented yet). No transaction fees are involved.
How I built it
On SKALE chains transactions are fast and free. So we took SKALE endpoint and made a JS library ppm.js that every web site can incorporate
Challenges I ran into
- How to exclude user interaction when sending transaction (solved by depositing to smart contract, and then sending to it zero-cost transactions directly from the browser)
- How to prevent web sites from just stealing user's money (solved by limiting money drain rate in smart contract (not implemented in current demo, but it won't become a problem))
- Hard to debug interaction with blockchain/smart contracts
What I learned
What's next for ppm - Pay-Per-Minute
- Should be implemented as a browser extension for smoother user experience.
- Need ready Angular/React/etc plugins with this
- More customization for user on how and where theirs money is spent
- Convenient "admin" interface for site owners
Please install Metamask before you try it