Have you ever faced a scenario where you're using your mobile phone for navigating when it suddenly dies and you have nowhere to go? What about trying to make an urgent call to your wife but her phone is dead? Trying to finish a report on the bus stop but your laptop dies? All of these scenarios and more inspired us to come up with a widespread solution for electricity availability anywhere for any of your devices.
What it does
- PowerCity creates a new medium to rent electricity where users find 'Power-Stops' which they can use to charge any of their devices.
- We use a mobile application to find the nearest power-stop through the use of geo-location. The user pays for sessions of either 20, 40 or 60 minutes at an affordable cost of 3 dhs for a full 60 minutes.
- He is able to link his DEWA account and pay for what he uses.
- The highlight of Powercity is the business revenue that it generates for DEWA by introducing a new service whose installation and infrastructure costs can be covered in close to one month.
How we built it
The app we built is a hybrid mobile app that was developed using the Phonegap platform. It uses HTML, CSS and JS to develop the app that is built to Android, iOS and Blackberry platforms. The hardware we planned includes a current outlet that is controlled using a microcontroller. The user should login using their DEWA account or pay using cash to start their session. Logging in using DEWA account makes payment easier by allowing the user to pay the amount along with the DEWA bill of their house or office. A seamless user interface and prototype was built in Adobe XD to deliver the
Challenges we ran into
One of the first challenge we faced was not being able to come up with an idea. However, when we did come up with something, we had to figure out how to make it fit in what we were supposed to do. Procrastination wasn't much of a problem for any of us as all of us were procrastinating together. The lack of sleep really did get to us and the unavailability of something comfy to sit on made things worse. Everyone began to get agitated and easily irritable. At the end of the day, the fact that we're all friends and that we're all here to have fun was what drove us to completing the project.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Constants business revenue generation for DEWA
- Beautiful, seamless UI and UX.
- Introducing a new model of renting electricity which boosts
What we learned
- Learning new ways to develop interactive applications using google api.
- Did research on how to integrate hardware and software.
- Building hybrid mobile apps using Phonegap.
- Working under pressure and a given deadline
What's next for Powercity
- PowerCity can be enhanced to charge Electric Cars
- Transmission of Electricity wirelessly
- Adding disposable power banks to use and discard them when finished.