Inspiration

We are a group of almost all first-time hackers who were eager to use our diverse skill sets to create something amazing. We started talking about what we were capable of creating, and decided a simple game would be achievable in the 36 hours. We then discussed goals for our game, and came up with a collaborative appraoch to teach the skills of team communication and collaboration.

What it does

This game requires players to balance a seesaw as weight is continuously and randomly added to each side. The goal of the game is keep the surface level, and avoid the seesaw touching the ground. Ideally, as a two player game, it would have players work together, each balancing a moving weight on one side of the seesaw to redistribute weight and keep the seesaw balanced.

How I built it

This game was built entirely from scratch, with no APIs or copied code. We started with a empty script. We decided to use simple geometric objects within HTML's Canvas, managed to have objects display and then animated those objects. Then the physics of the game and all the mathematics were conceptualized and written into the code. The user input was then defined and implemented. From there on, it was debugging and adding new features. The motion controller was built using an Arduino 101 from MLH, it controlled 4 relays which then controlled a MakeyMakey.

Challenges I ran into

Our ultimate goal was the creation of a multiplayer game, but we ran into a few roadblocks with the mathematics and coding. Since the plank is tilting constantly at different speeds according to the respective shift in balance, the weight and the plank are all moving in two dimensions according to an one-dimensional input. The calculation and the coding for this kind of feature can prove to be extremely difficult.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

As a novice coder, I (Erin) tok the opportunity to learn about javascript and bootstrap while here. I created, the first .html page I've ever created independently.

What I learned

Each of the challenges we encountered forced us to explore new dimmensions of coding, mathematics, and game reiterations as we worked towards creating a working product. I persoanlly have learned that even simple cocnepts and designs can create headaches in the design process, and that we should always estimate more time for tasks than we think we need, in order to have wiggle room to olve problems we encounter.

What's next for Power Balance

The next steps include expanding the game for multiplayer use. With more time and investment into graphics, Power Balance has the potential to be marketable to companies such as Luminosity as an expansion to their already existing package of brain-training games.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates