pose

Inspiration

I was inspired by the british game show "Hole in the Wall" which I watched when I was growing up. When watching it I often found myself thinking it would be so easy if i could try it myself.

What it does

The game, put simply lets users score points by contorting their body to get through the gaps as a obstacle hurtles towards them.

How we built it

Going into the project I knew that i would need a framework. I chose to use Vue.js as i have lots of experience using it. Paired with the Component library Element UI, rapid prototyping was effortless as i could easily leverage existing components without having to worry about making my own.

The graphics for the game were controlled with Three.js. Where possible I reused materials and geometries to keep performance up. that was a vital consideration as performance was a constant consideration as inference on the pose model was very computationally intensive.

For pose Estimation, at first I used the keypoints from outputted from the Teachable Machine Pose library. This however proved to not be either accurate enough or performant enough (I was only getting about 15 frames per second with this model). Switching over to using BlazePose from tensorflowjs allowed me to get up to 45 frames per second.

Challenges we ran into

  • Collision detection. This was an essential part of the game but since Three js doesn't support it out of the box, I had to make it myself. I considered adding a physics engine like Oimo.js but I feared this would impact too much on performance. In the end my approach was to convert encode the user's position and the current obstacle as a SVG. Then using kld-intersections I could check for intersections between the user's points and the obstacle
  • Color and aethstetics Graphic design has never been my forte. In fact I seem to have the uncanny ability to create a garish color scheme without even trying! I addressed this issue by sticking rigidly to a color palettes from nice-color-palettes. This largely worked allowing me to not have to think about the color scheme much.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

I am really pleased with how the character design came out. Initially I thought about rigging a 3D model and mapping the keypoints from Blazenet to it.I'm glad i left it minimalistic as this helps keep the game looking playful plus it leaves open the option for more interesting level designs

What we learned

I really learned about shaders. Although the shaders I used were quite simple, being new to the technology it took a lot of work to make them. I was definitely pleasantly surprised at how much mathematics was involved - this project makes me excited to explore them further

What's next for Pose Game

I hope to add polish by adding generative music using tone.js, changes as the player moves. the game already makes you feel like moving around your space and i think music would only encourage this.

I am also excited to improve the levels by both adding more and improving the existing ones. I didn't have much of an idea of scale when I built the existing ones which makes them fiendishly challenging.

Project setup

yarn install

Compiles and hot-reloads for development

yarn serve

Compiles and minifies for production

yarn build

Built With

Share this project:

Updates