User Interface Ideas
Mental health is a big issue that is becoming more prevalent in Canada in a university setting many of our friends also have experienced mental health issues. When they try to seek help, they often want immediate help that cannot be easily accessed.
What it does
Provides emotional comfort support via the personalized interface which user can add emergency contacts, add what activities are calming to them, and reasons to remind them of how beautiful life is.
How we built it
We used a labeled data set from twitter and extracted keywords related to anxiety. From the user input which has anxiety trigger words included it will provide corresponding CBT.
Challenges we ran into
- Lack of time due to the constraint
- Targetting specifically what we want to do this app
- Ran model bag of words and multilabel classifier but the accuracy was really low, twitter dataset doesn't represent our day to day conversations representing a barrier for use
- instead created a less comprehensive model but with the proper dataset, it could be applied more broadly
- Actually getting the code to do what we wanted
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We completed a prototype product by the end of the submission time
- Worked collaboratively with people from different backgrounds
What we learned
- Lots from the different workshops such as user interface
- Working in a team is more effective than by yourself
What's next for PocketPal
- Target more mental illnesses
- AI for detecting keywords