Inspiration

We were inspired by Skribbl.io, Quizlet, and Kahoot. Despite the notoriety and widespread use of these tools and applications, there seems to be a serious need for a program that combines the casual, interactiveness of Skribbl.io and the professional, learning capabilities of Quizlet. In addition, we also took inspiration from Quizlet’s lack of appropriate accommodations in their flashcards for STEM students. The difficulty of manually inputting, for example, an entire math equation and having it render unintelligibly in flashcard form adds no value to the user other than frustration. With two of us being current computer science students, we also liked to imagine a flashcard application that accommodated code and compilers for quick review and a greater understanding of their coding habits.

What it does

[Note: Playtest does not currently really do much of anything, but here are the goals we had originally set out to accomplish.]

Playtest is a game and a study tool. With collaboration at its core, it’s meant for anyone to create flashcard sets (or import existing ones from Quizlet) and share them with friends. One of the things that sets Playtest apart from competitors is its ability to support special notation inside flashcard sets. It can render code, chemical symbols, and calculus. No more having to write x^2! It offers a plethora of interactive study tools, and most importantly, a game function, allowing multiple users to learn and engage with content in a fun and exciting way. Remote learning has made it difficult for students to connect with both the content and their peers, but with Playtest that’s no longer a problem.

The prototype we developed for Playtest during this hackathon uhhhhh has a chat. And it uhhh can create unique flashcards into a firebase realtime database. It also had google login authentication with firebase. It also kinda looks nice for what it's worth! We have wireframes, mockups, requirements docs, even a pitch presentation!

How we built it

Playtest was built with firebase, node.js, express.js, socket.io, javaScript & JQuery, and HTML/CSS. Figma was used for the design mockups.

Challenges we ran into

We found it difficult to manage our project scope. It seemed like with every passing hour, we decided to implement less features. 36 hours wasn’t nearly enough time to fit in all of our grand ideas, and, just like Icarus, we dreamt too high and flew too close to the sun.

Accomplishments that We’re proud of

We’re proud of this idea (hahahaha ha)! Although implementation did not go according to plan (like at all), we think it’s a really solid concept, and we’re glad to have figured out just how complex implementing a piece of software like this is (and would really be if fully fleshed-out). This idea is something we truly believe can come into fruition with just the right skill sets and, of course, a lot more time than a little over a day.

What we learned

Our biggest lesson from this Hackathon was learning how to manage our project scope and keep our ideas realistic within the time constraints of the hack. We came in with an idea that was wildly out of scope and if we had started with the bare essentials in mind, we might have been able to accomplish more.

What's next for playtest

A functional build,,,,, Email us if you want to start a business (Hi Contrary!) xoxo katit1@uci.edu & ssotodia@uci.edu

Built With

Share this project:

Updates