Our little plant :)
Building something with an arduino and using IoT.
What it does
Read data about sunlight, humidity, soil moisture and temperature from a garden and present the data in an app. It also allows to control the watering manually.
How we built it
- We connected the required sensors to the arduino and a pot.
- We developed the backend using RoR and deployed it to Azure.
- We developed the app using React Native.
- We programmed the arduino to read the sensors when instructed by a raspberry pi and send the data back using serial.
- We used python to send the data using MQTT to our backend.
- The data is presented to the app via an HTTP request.
Challenges we ran into
- Our Arduino was not compatible with azure IOT Hub because it wasn't capable of using TLS. So we used a RPI as a relay.
- We never used azure befored and had firewall issues.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We learn to use MQTT.
- We had a lot of fun :D
What we learned
- Azure deployment
What's next for plantechta
- Finish the missing details.
- Remove the RPI from the system.