Inspiration

Our team is always doubting ourselves when it comes to taking care of our plants! Now that we are home much more often, one thing we have done is get some plant friends to make our space happier. This project is to help us learn what they need and how to take care of them.

Additionally, the goal was to keep the design extremely straightforward and intuitive to use. I have been inspired lately by apps like the Casper glow light app and the Bose wireless headphones app which give you a basic status without needing to dig through so many screens and features.

What it does

This app allows you to get a sense of how your plant is doing at a glance. Quickly see how your plant is doing just by the plant animation, or read into the stats down below.

How I built it

This project has two parts, the hardware and the app. The soil sensor and micro controller give use a reading of the plant's data through the Arduino IDE. The back end and front end are hooked up through a Graphql api. Then on the front end, the mobile first design is built using JavaScript, React.js, Material-UI, and Airbnb's Lottie for animation.

Challenges I ran into

Our team ran some challenges when getting the data from the micro controller to the graphql api and that took some figuring out. Additionally, creating the animation for Lottie was not as straightforward as anticipated when it came to exporting an animation from after effects.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

I'm proud that our team worked together on a completely fullstack app in this short amount of time. It was really a combination of skillsets.

What I learned

We learned about sensors, Lottie animations, and Arduino!

What's next for Plant Monitor

Creating a better front end for desktop (right now it is mobile first so looks best on mobile), and additional features like adding more plants and adjusting settings. More logic for a database of different plants (since different plants require different amounts of water).

We also had planned on adding a light sensor, but the right one was sold out. In the future, we want to add that to the same micro controller.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates