The idea was conceived after attending the seminar hosted by ELC where we were able to understand the real pain and agony of breast cancer sufferers and survivors directly from them and how things could have been better if it was detected earlier, making this a Human Centric Innovation for the people from anywhere. Thus a Buddy for your journey throughout which includes early detection, tracking, and consulting related to breast cancer.
Vision & Mission
Our vision is to create awareness about Breast Cancer and provide data driven insights to help people make choices to reduce their chances of developing cancer.
Breast cancer is the most frequent cancer among women, impacting 2.1 million women each year, and also causes the greatest number of cancer-related deaths among women. In 2018, it is estimated that 627,000 women died from breast cancer – that is approximately 15% of all cancer deaths among women. While breast cancer rates are higher among women in more developed regions, rates are increasing in nearly every region globally. Developing countries face resource and infrastructure constraints that challenge the objective of improving breast cancer outcomes by timely recognition, diagnosis and management.
More than two thirds of breast cancers in developing countries are diagnosed at a late stage. Awareness-based screening programs, integrated into existing infrastructure, are the way forward for cancer control in these countries. According to the current analysis of Reports and Data, the global Breast Cancer Therapy Market was valued at USD 19.02 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach USD 40.47 billion by the year 2026, at a CAGR of 10.6%.
These are the the Driving Factors responsible for the growth of the breast cancer therapy market:
- Rise in the healthcare awareness among individual’s disease and treatment
- Early detection of the cancer
- Better surgical and medical treatment
- R&D initiatives & Technological advancement. However, High expenditure in the treatment is restraining the growth of the market.
Asia pacific likely to obtain the largest CAGR of 11.8% for the breast cancer therapy market in the forecast period due to the rise in the target population in the region.
During the #Hack4Pink Hackathon, our team built PinkBuddy App that aims to will provide support in addressing the barriers associated with Breast Cancer:
- Increased awareness through access to relevant credible research material
- Assistance in clinical evaluation, diagnosis and staging through the use of in-build Deep Learning model to interpret reports/scans from doctors/hospital
- Appointment booking facility that allows to connect to relevant diaries of relevant diagnostic centers and consults specializing in breast cancer.
- Ensuring access to quality, timely cancer treatment which is critical to improving cancer outcomes.
- Users can book specialized consultations based on their own medical plan across various diaries/vendors integrated using RPA Technology which otherwise does not have logical connectors.
Vue, Flask, RPA, Automation Anywhere, Python, Convolution Neural Network (DenseNet), Machine Learning, Firebase, REST API.
Challenges I ran into
One challenge was to integrate the web app with RPA, we were able to use a REST API to get data and proceed. Another one was about putting all these features into one App, However, with a lot of brainstorming with the team we were able to crack it and the fact that we were all from different parts of the world. Diversity was indeed a gamechanger.
What I learned
We were able to learn about the seriousness of breast cancer and It was a great experience working as a team. Being a Diverse team from different parts of the world and having two women on the team really helped us to understand and empathize with the real problem and finding a solution to it.
Launch MVP: Launch our MVP to the regions in Asia, Europe and US including awareness campaigns & localization support
Pilot: Looking for Pilot opportunities with established health centers & organizations for offering facilitator based programs
Grow Network: Create a global network of care givers and facilitators registered on platform for awareness campaigns
Corporate Membership: Add support for corporate membership for employees to create awareness and improve the early stage diagnostics
Expansion: Expand our service to more regions in Europe and Americas including support for local caregivers network
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.