We wanted to build something enjoyable but also a little bit unpredictable, in an exciting way. Evan brought up the idea of "wikipedia racing", where people start on one page and try to get to another that's about a completely different topic. We thought that it might be really neat to do something similar, but with using gifs as the vehicle instead of wikipedia pages.
What it does
The user starts out by giving a gif and a word that they need to match (or we provide default ones for them if they leave the fields empty). The objective of the game is to find a gif that will match up with the word.
How I built it
We built the app in iterative steps: first we went over how to call the APIs, then we put down some boilerplate HTML/CSS, and then we did an initial test with loading different gifs on a webpage. From there, we split up the remaining tasks according to expertise and preference. However, we always looked to each other for input and direction. The shape that our project took differed in some ways from what we had originally imagined - but then again, we were looking to make something a little bit unexpected!
Challenges I ran into
All of us faced some roadblocks in regard to inexperience with some of the technologies/languages we used, or with seemingly inexplicable errors between the front and back ends.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
We worked as a team to support each other with mentorship and encouragement. I believe that everyone wanted to contribute something to the final product, so when we did create a working app it was a thrill for all of us.
What I learned
What's next for Pictorious
It would be great to add more robust support for concurrent users. Perhaps we could also expand the back end so that users can register and create races for others. Another nice feature would be to let people share their race results with others and invite them to compete.