Sign Up/Login Page
New Post Page
We felt that we could improve the classroom applications that we used for school today by adding an element of social media into it.
What it does
Just like any social media application, Peerial allows users to post text and images but also allows users to post slideshows, polls, and other forms of media. It has a feed which includes everything that the class has including the discussion, posts et cetera. It also allows teachers to control posts and has a post-moderation system built in Java to prevent inappropriate content from being posted.
How I built it
We used Android Studio with Java to build the basic app. We used Firebase to get the login and sign up system to work.
Challenges I ran into
Figuring out how enable users to post media on the app and the post-moderation program were the biggest hurdles we faced while making this project.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
Overall, providing a more fluid and easy-to-use platform for students and teachers that has a social media app feel.
What I learned
Gained more experience in Java and Andoid Studio and synthesizing it with Firebase.
What's next for Peerial (SigmaHacks)
- Creating support for other forms of media.
- Implementing machine learning using Python for the post-moderation system.
- Developing a way to sort all of the posts by media.
- Figuring out networking to make it work across multiple devices on the internet.
- Possibly creating an iOS app for the same idea.