Phishing emails have continued to increase in mass and complexity, especially within the industry, thus presenting a large threat to these businesses and their users. Our goal with this project is to decrease the rates of success of these types of emails within companies.
What it does
Our solution adds an encrypted key to the companies' internal mails, as well as analyzing received ones for unsafe links that contain malware.
How we built it
We built the back end using Java and MySQL and we used HTML for the front end.
Challenges we ran into
We had to change plans a few times along the way, but the Agile methodology we used helped us to organize tasks better and fix our mistakes. We also ran into issues while implementing the urlscanAPI due to its lack of thorough documentation.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Working on a time constraint, whilst learning new frameworks and technologies for us, such as chrome extension frameworks and bootstrap.
What we learned
We learned about agile methodology and worked with frameworks we had little to no prior knowledge of (chrome extensions and bootstrap.
What's next for PeepReel
We plan on improving the efficiency of URL malware detection, as well as reducing the CPU and RAM consumption of the web crawler. We also hope to expand on the functionalities and our reach, so that our solution may create a greater impact.