- In 2013, 2.5 million nonfatal falls among older adults were treated in emergency departments. 
- More than 734,000 of these patients were hospitalized. 
- This issue is not easily preventable, however we can help by detecting falls to get help faster.
- Elderly people who are vulnerable to falls but still want to be active.
- Concerned children, who want to be reassured of their loved ones' safety.
- Insurance companies, who want to maximize their customer relations.
What it does
PebbleTrek constantily monitors the motion from your Pebble and recognizes falls when they occure. When a fall is detected a SMS notifcation is sent to an emergency contact your choosing, which includes a Google Maps link to your location.
The system is incredibly easy to set up. Designed for seniors in mind.
How we built it
We use the Pebble C SDK and PebbleKit JS and Twolio SMS API together with the IDE PebbleCloud.
Challenges we ran into
- Callibration of the fall detection algorithm for maximum reliability and minimum false positive.
- Elimating the use of an additional companian app and still providing the same functionality.
What we learned
- Use Twolio API
What's next for PebbleTrek
- Further improve fall detection algorithm based on user data
- Bringing it the Pebble App Store
 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Web–based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS) [online].
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.