Our love for dogs started at a very age early after we came across the movie "Hachiko - A Dog Story". Hachiko waited at Shinjuku train station/Tokyo for his master to return every day even after his master passed away. Hachiko's fierce loyalty towards his master inspired us and motivated us to create a platform Pawfect, born out of love for dogs and our respect for those who treat their dogs well. At Pawfect, we believe that pets are family. And family deserves only the best.
What it does
People love their dogs — they may not be human, but they're part of the family. They are a significant part of our lives: they provide a form of relaxation nothing else can give, but need just as much care as people. Healthy, happy dogs need supplies, ranging from toys, leashes, carriers, and even clothes to health and sanitary products like flea killer, medications, shampoo, etc. When we couldn't find a platform which is a key for dogs to live their best life, we decided to take matters in our own hands.
Our E-Commerce platform includes specialty items like treats and toys, shampoos and grooming accessories; we are also heavy into health products which include multi-vitamins and supplements for all aspects of your furry friend's health and well-being from teeth to tail. Sniff around and you'll find what you're after! Our goal has been and will continue to be to provide top quality, non prescription vet products while engaging our customers with the best customer service and prices!
How we built it
- Node.js version 12.16.3
- MongoDB version 4.2.0
- Express version 4.16.1
- Bootstrap version 4.4.1
- FontAwesome version 5.13.0
- Stripe API v3: used for payment in the checkout page
- Mapbox API: used to show the map in the about us page
- AdminBro: used and customized to implement the admin panel
- Nodemailer: used to send emails from the contact us form
- Passport: used for authentication
- Express Validator: used for form validation
Challenges we ran into
- Designing the flow of the application
- Integrating various parts of the application
- Lack of prior research regarding dynamics of an E-Commerce portal
- Integrating RazorPay as payment gateway. Currently, using Stripe instead which is fully functional
- Security Challenges for protecting data
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Clean and elegant UI
- Clean readable and reusable code
- Utilised best coding practices
- Good team communication
What we learned
- We learned how to integrate MongoDB and use mongoose functionality for saving data to the database.
- We learned the ins and outs of using express.js and how the MVC works in express.
- Using socket.io to fetch real time data.
- Project management with Github
What's next for Pawfect
Converting the web-application to a native application as well is the future scope of our application. Having said that, our web-application is fully web-responsive and supports all browsers.