Inspiration

What it does

How I built it

I plugged in things into other things, cried a bit, cried some more, and somehow we had a circuit! And hey, it worked! But actually though - we made the hardware circuit using LEDs, buttons (to simulate sensors), and an arduino. We programmed the arduino to be able to see when LEDs lit up, and also passed the LED output onto the computer using Serial data transfer in orer to be able to program it onto the Azure table using python. Once it was all on a table in Azure, we tried to develop a simple Android app that could display a map of the parking garage you were at, and then tell you exactly which spots were available and which weren't.

Challenges I ran into

  • staying awake for 48 straight hours
  • connecting to the internet
  • connecting our android app to our azure table to real-time update data using fragments. This would be okay if we were to use a simple app template, but who ever wants to do that?
  • auto-refreshing our data

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

  • staying up for 48 straight hours
  • successfully creating a hardware project that can take real time inputs and translate them into python code, subsequently pushing values onto an online table
  • I was very proud to see my work displayed on a website accessible from anywhere in the world

What I learned

I learned a lot about Android Dev, and connecting various platforms together. I also learnt that it is not always easy to accomplish what you set out to achieve. At times like this, you must annoy all Microsoft and Android mentors, change some official documentation, and get some sleep. Overall, we all learnt that next time, we should bring sweaters to hackathons. Thanks for the experience!

What's next for ParkMe

Finish it, place an AI system on it, make it easily scalable, and have it working for smart cars and on modern car dashboard systems.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates