During the coronavirus outbreak, we notice that lots of parents and students (especially for students at an early age) have to self- quarantine at home. The world is struck seriously by the epidemic and encounter large-scale school shutdown, more supportive measurements from parents and volunteers other than teachers should be considered to support the current distance learning.
Therefore, we come up with the ideas due to the five following problems:
- Students' learning progress should not be affected by the epidemic.
- While many schools encounter shortages of human resources, a great number of parents and college students have the capability to contribute their knowledge in specific subject matters even though they are not certified teachers.
- It is harder for teachers to take care of each students' progress when teaching remotely.
- Parents' and students' needs could not be satisfied by current resources provided by distance learning. It is hard for some parents to assist their children's homework due to the lack of related knowledge in specific subject matters.
- Some parents might not know how to align with the specific formats when submitting their children's assignments. The lack of information and limited human resources make it difficult for teachers to support parents who encounter technical issues.
This concept comes from the idea of “Sharing economy and Lifelong Learning”. From this project, we want to help improve the educational system and face the global challenge with information technology.
Elementary students and their parents or related professionals (e.g., teachers, college volunteers, and experts).
What it does
Pairing system: In order to make up for the shortage of human resources in schools, we let unemployed parents and college volunteers become teachers. They will teach different subjects according to their specialties and provide technical supports to other parents and students who are less familiar with technologies.
Supplemental learning materials: By providing games and links to supplemental materials such as educational animations, videos, or movies, we hope to increase the intimacy between parents and children through learning together. Questions and guidelines will also be provided to help parents scaffold their discussions with the children and to increase the intimacy between parents and children. Also, we will teach children the right knowledge to combat COVID-19.
How we built it
Pairing system: JAVA is currently used as the primary language for users' data login, categorization, and pairing results. We expect to use the FB API, external system links and national database for assistance. Parents and college volunteers will sign up using their national ID, and they will be able to choose which classes (by selecting specific region/county/school/class) and which subjects they want to support. To manage the quality of the volunteers, the college volunteers must be referred by parents in the system.
Supplemental learning materials: We aim to design our own game and get authorization of other multimedia resources from reputational media and movie companies. The resources will only be used for education purposes. In the Demo video, we use the game format and it was made by CONSTRUCT2, which is used as the game engine and the materials were made with Adobe Photoshop.
How the pairing system works
- The support teachers will assist with lecturing, homework checking and concept clarification for students.
- The support teachers will create groups for parents to ask questions related to subject content and technical issues.
- If our project receives funds from investors, the support teachers will receive decent compensation for their time and effort, which can help reduce the financial burdens caused by massive layoffs around the globe.
Challenges we ran into
Our aim is to solve the problem of education with technologies. However, since most of us major in education, it is difficult for us to find programmers with experience in system design and system construction. We hope those who share the same interest can join us.
We aim to carry out the plan around the globe gradually. Since the needs of children with different socioeconomic status and cultural backgrounds vary, the demand for electrical equipment and other resources is predictable. Therefore, we hope that the telecom companies, non-profits, philanthropists, or individuals can sponsor the needed funds and equipment.
Why this system
- Increase the intimacy between parents and children through learning together
- Close the generation gap especially in the usage of technology
- Enhance the volunteer teachers' (parents and college students) teaching skills in specific subject matters
- Increase parents' understanding of distance learning
- Stimulate more creative and flexible applications of distance learning and virtual classrooms
- Provide opportunities for students to cultivate their self-learning and self-discipline skills
- Provide opportunities for students to learn/ review specific subjects of their own choices more deeply
Accomplishments that we're proud of
If the system succeeds, it proves that distance teaching is quite feasible. Therefore, it can further address other education-related issues, like the urban-rural gap, special education, etc. It means that we can solve lots of educational problems through systems following this structure. As for the co-working game, we can tie relationships between children and parents, to eliminate the gap of generations(especially for parents with little experience of playing games).
What we learned
We learned how to contain the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) by
- Paying attention to education orientation and implementation guidelines that each country focuses on
- Providing access to distance learning
- Utilizing multimedia applications in bridging generational differences
What's next for Parents as teachers anti-Covid virus Pairing System.
- Complete the pairing system and related configuration.
- Provide training for parents and volunteers who want to be teachers.
- Build virtual classrooms where schoolchildren and teachers can get in.
- Gradually expand the teaching fields.
- Provide a learning environment for children while staying at home.
- Gather materials for kids' distance education (like tablets, PCs).