💡 Inspiration 💡
Even with advancements in storage technology, organs can survive outside of the body for only 4-24hours, thousands of organs that could be SAVING LIVES are wasted! According to Bloomworks digital, it's estimated that 28 000 usable donated organs are disposed of every year. 🥺 By connecting donors with recipients, Peer Organ hopes to change that!
⚙️ What it does ⚙️
You can sign up on the app as a donor or recipient and connect with each other directly and get tailored donor results based on your health background (ie. blood type, drug use, alcohol use, etc) and location.
🛠️ How we built it 🛠️
For the frontend, we used React (JS) and Framer-motion in combination with Ant-design to create a visually pleasing and accessible way for users to communicate.
To store user data, we took advantage of SQL, django and orm because of its ease of access to set up and access data.
For the recommendation feature, we used Pandas, Numpy and Seaborn to preprocess our data. We trained our model using Sklearn on 800 different organ donors.
😣 Challenges we ran into 😣
We were plagued with challenges throughout NYUHacks because of our conflicting schedules, different time zones, and time management.
Some Challenges include:
- Getting reactJS to work on everyone's computer
- Organizing schedules
- Finding a good dataset for organ donations
- Properly implementing user authentication
- Getting multiplier reactJS pages to work together seamlessly
🎉 Accomplishments that we're proud of 🎉
We accomplished A LOT during the past 48 hours!
Some notable accomplishments include:
- Managed to work under tight time constraints (We started working with only 28 hours left 💀)
- Figuring out how to connect SQL/Django/orm together to authenticate users and grab data from the SQL database
- Designing the app from scratch (Shoutout to Fei, AMAZING UI/UX designer 🤗)
- Using so many tools, languages and frameworks at once, and making them work together :D
⏭️What's next for Peer Organ⏭️
- Implement a chat feature so users can talk amongst themselves from recipients to donors
- Enhance our recommendation feature (add more search terms)
- Possibly add another user flow for medical professionals
- Connect with local hospitals/healthcare professionals to provide user data to
- Add donation features so that users can thank one another for their organs and/or support recipients financially (we know how much healthcare costs in the US... A LOT )