Ocean water quality sensing is important to identify the impact of human activities on the aquatic environment and ecosystem. It directly impacts our health and economy. An algal bloom, caused by excess nutrients pollution in water, is harmful to aquatic life.
What it does
Ocen water quality sensing unit
Here, we developed a hardware system for ocean water quality sensing. Users can view different parameters of water quality such as
- Air temperature
- Air humidity
- Water temperature
- TDS (total dissolved solids)
- Water level
- users select points on the map to view parameters including pH, TDS, water temperature, air temperature, humidity, water level, dissolve O2 level
How we built it
- Back-end development using python
- Hardware development using C++ and ESP32
- Analog TDS Sensor
- pH Meter with breakout Board
- Waterproof analog temperature probe
- SEN0189 Turbidity Sensor
- Analog Water Level Sensor
- Phone GPS
Challenges we ran into
We are an international team with 4 timezones, not all developers are awake at the same time. We overcame this by effective planning and communication.
We had trouble accessing the satellite images dataset to identify harmful algae bloom. By the time he had access to it, it was too late to implement it.
Finding workarounds to 'Blocked by CORS policy'
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We built a functional prototype!
What we learned
- We learned a lot about hardware development
- It was our first time using D3.js
What's next for Ocean Watch
Implement Harmful algae bloom detection using satellite images