Inspiration

Wanted to create a project as a team that was not for the majority, like most programs, but rather a minority. 8% of children have allergies (source: aaaai.org) and 38.7% of them have had a history of severe reactions. So we decided to create a project around allergies, and how we could benefit people with those allergies. The general idea that we came up with was a Chrome extension that could filter cuisine results and alert them if there were allergens on that site. We decided to add on additional features on top of that and develop it as much as we could in 36 hours, and this is what we ended up with!

What it does

It offers three major functionalities - 1) keeping track of allergies and notifying the user when it appears on a cuisine related webpage, 2) a calorie counter for a recipe and 3) a seamless grocery cost estimate of the ingredients.

How we built it

We built it with Javascript (puppeteer, node, JSON), HTML/CSS (Bootstrap) and some Python for data processing. It runs on the Google app engine. We built APIs to process user data on the backend and feed the appropriate data back into our Chrome extension. Our team also designed the logo ourselves!

Challenges we ran into

Understanding how to process what is considered an ingredient on the web. Ingredients might be easy for humans to recognize but oh boy, definitely not through code.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

It works!!!! Having finished a project and built a Chrome Extension as a team is definitely cool and we are hoping to expand on this in the future. It also targets a specific group of people, so we're hoping that more people can know about this extension and that they find it helpful as well!

What we learned

New languages, web scraping and how scary lack of sleep can be.

What's next for NutriFind

Extending it to Google Search results and maybe some more special features :)

Share this project:

Updates