The ongoing outbreak of the coronavirus disease [COVID-19], who affect mostly the vulnerable people: aged people who have multiple comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, malnourished, people with low immunity. One of the main factors in all these diseases who increase the risk of dying is poor nutrition.
Globally, one in five deaths are associated with a poor diet (Lancet 2019),
There is currently a substantial shortage of healthcare workers, which is expected to increase over the coming decades. The World Health Organization (WHO) by 2035 there will be a shortage of 12.9 million health care workers
What it does
We provide ultra-customized, accurate and comprehensive nutritional recommendations to increase immunity and optimize an individual's health by: - analyzing and tracking blood, urine, genetic and digital markers. - using a patent-pending algorithm that takes into consideration self-reported eating habit, weight goals and medical restrictions data. - monitoring blood pressure, calorie consumption, body fat, etc. evolution through the wearable. - connecting with healthcare providers using telemedicine facility.
Clients, which are using the online services are able to determine the proper food and if they need they will receive at their home all nutrients "Made for me" to cover their deficiencies taking only one, single pill /day.
How we built it
Developing a digital health platform with the following features:
- Determine the actual nutrients intake by collecting the eating habit data using a validated food frequency questionnaire. Free service
- Determine nutrients deficiencies one of the main causes who contribute to the low immune system response and appearance of comorbidities using big data, digital markers and a patent-pending algorithm. Free service
- Let the food be your medicine! find the proper food and/or nutritional supplements to cover deficiencies. Free service
- Prevention Guide risk of diseases due to identified nutrient deficiencies and self-reported signs and symptoms. Free service
- Increase personalization implementing nutrigenetic profile will know the exact quantities of needed nutrients
- Increase absorption implementing _ gut microbiome profile_ will improve gut microbiome flora.
- Solution checking implementing blood and urine analysis to check nutrients level
- Professional advice implementing TELEMEDICINE to connect with dietitians and clinicians
- Health evolution connecting wearables to monitor: blood pressure, calorie consumption, temperature
- "Made for me" nutritional supplements your body needs in only one single pill/day delivered to your door.
All activities performed by the user/patient will be done from the comfort of their home.
Challenges we ran into
Integration with the cloud communication platform to connect dietitians, clinicians using video, audio and text with patients, we are trying to implement Twilio solutions: https://www.twilio.com/company
Finding the proper sample kits for self - collection of the blood, urine, faecal we have the following options: http://www.7sbio.com/ and https://www.winnoz.com/. The challenge is to find a laboratory who will use very small samples quantities for the analysis.
Validate information provided in Prevention Guide, all the data is collected from trusted sources like Harvard and Oregon Universities, we need to decide how we will show the info to people.
Integrate into our nutrition deficiencies assessment algorithm the blood, urine and gut microbiome results
Find a solution to put in a single capsule/pill per day all needed nutrients personalized for each individual, instead of taking between 5-10 capsule/pills. We are thinking to use 3D printing technology
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Determine the actual nutrients intake -Set-up the food frequency questionnaire: https://www.sandbox.api.nutricare.life/user/
Determine nutrients deficiencies -Set-up the algorithm to determine the nutrients deficiencies and procedure to transform needed nutrients in food and supplements to cover nutritional deficiencies
Let the food be your medicine! -Digital health platform back-end framework: -Set-up back-end dashboard -Front-end https://www.nutricare.life/
Prevention Guide -data base with preliminary info which will be provided to through this module -list of sources: [European Food Safety Agency)(https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/nutrition) Harvard University
Oregon State University
Increase personalization -integrate into the nutrients deficiencies assessment algorithm the data from a nutrigenetic test: https://www.genetx.eu/
Health evolution -Successfully integrate Withings wearables in the backend dashboard
What's next for NutriCare.Life
Determine the actual nutrients intake -UX/UI to facilitate easy data collection using food frequency questionnaire -implement an option to use the predefined diet for users who already know the followed diet type -integrating with food logging app using image recognition
Determine nutrients deficiencies -Transforming the determined nutrients deficiencies in actionable data, the quantities to be bought from the pharmacy
Let the food be your medicine! -UX/UI to support users to change their eating habit for a healthy life
Prevention Guide -3rd party validation, even the info is collected by medical doctors from trusted sources -usage of the self-reported info about the sign and symptoms -set-up the flow of supplied information
Increase personalization -partnerships with nutrigenetic tests providers to increase our portfolio to cover mainstream and economic segments.
Increase absorption -set -up a partnership with a gut microbiome test provider -integrate gut microbiome data in "Let the food be your medicine!" algorithm
Solution checking -set -up a partnership with blood and urine nutrients level test provider -integrate gut microbiome data in "Let the food be your medicine!" algorithm
Professional advice -set-up partnerships with nutritionists, dietitians and clinicians to provide using telemedicine facilities medical and nutritional recommendations -implement in back-end specific requirements for specialists: multi patients management
Health evolution -integrate data transfer from top wearables providers: Fitbit, Apple, etc
"Made for me" nutritional supplements your body needs in only one single pill/day delivered to your door. -set-up partnership with nutritional supplements producer -research and development of "made for me" one single pill/capsule/day with all required nutrients
We empower people at European and global level to participate more fully in their own care and support healthcare providers to be more efficient by facilitating a personalized approach to increase immunity and optimize an individual's health by using the latest digital and medical technology and most comprehensive set of personal data. We will have a big social impact having into consideration our free services.
We are addressing our services to the following clients segments:
- B2C: People who are suffering from metabolic diseases: obesity, diabetes, malnutrition, etc.
- B2C: Healthy people who want to prevent, knowing the food and supplements intake for a healthy life.
- B2B2C: Specialists (clinicians, nutritionists, dietitians, etc.) who want to improve their service
- B2B Producers of nutritional supplements to provide a custom solution to their clients
Unique selling proposition:
There are many competitors on the market offering only a part of our services, we will succeed to provide all their services and on top using digital markers and a patent-pending algorithm we provide an online nutritional deficiencies assessment and many other benefits to support users to change and improve their eating habit.
Competitive advantages unique worldwide :
1) We provide exact quantities of FOOD and NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS intake to cover nutritional needs. None of the competitors provides this actionable data. 2) We provide free access to "NUTRITION DEFICIENCIES ASSESSMENT" digital health platform for everybody. No free options from our competitors 3) No need for daily data introduction. Competitors ask for daily user input 4) No need to follow a meal plan, cook what you want using your food list intake recommendation. Competitors provide the meal plan who should be followed strictly. 5) Based on the recommended food and supplements lists users can cover their nutritional needs, empowering them to be their own nutritionist. The competitors are providing only third-party services, so they are increasing the cost of healthcare. 6) Based on nutrition deficiencies assessment we are providing deficiency prevention and treatment solutions 7) Knowing the exact quantities of necessary nutrients to cover deficiencies, we are able to provide in a single capsule/pill per day all the active substance/nutrients. Our competitors deliver between 5-10 pills/capsules per day.
- We will promote our online free services (nutrition deficiencies assessment, prevention guide) at both clients segments B2C and B2B2C at European level using online and offline channels.
- Users of free services who are interested in deeper personalization will be leads for paid service: nutrigenetic, blood, urine, gut microbiome tests and nutritional supplements
- all the test will be performed without any travel from the client-side, they will receive at their home the sample kit, will perform the sampling and send it to the lab.
- Nutritional supplements will be delivered by our partner using a courier in any European country
Technical Complexity & Novelty
The main technologies we are working with:
- Next-Generation Sequencing for DNA analysis which has the highest accuracy available today. The algorithm used in the interpretation process has a gene to gene and haplotype analyze.
- Mass Spectrometry for blood and urine tests
- Microarray for gut microbiome tests
- To transform the nutrients in exact quantities of food to cover nutritional needs based on the genetic code we use validated food and nutrients databases and a patent-pending procedure
- To monitor patient evolution, we collect clinical data from connected wearables: Blood Pressure Monitor, Pulse, Body Composition, etc. For data protection, we will use blockchain technology
Out innovation stands in:
- Our patent-pending procedure to determine the food and supplement to cover nutrients needs according to the genetic profile
- The holistic approach who take into consideration at the same time all the discovered biomarkers and on top we add digital markers developed based on the patent-pending procedure.
- Online assessment of nutrients intake using food frequency questionnaire
We already have a desktop version prototype (MVP) who was tested by several nutritionists Web and mobile digital health platform are in the development phase:
- frontend 100% developed https://www.nutricare.life/
- backend 80% developed https://www.sandbox.api.nutricare.life/user/
- mobile Android and iOS 70%
- nutrigenetic test 100% developed and launched in the market
The first version of the Nutrcare.Life digital health platform will be released in Aug.2020
Business Plan executive summary:
- The ongoing outbreak of the coronavirus disease [COVID-19], who affects mostly the vulnerable people: aged people who have multiple co-morbidity, malnourished people, people with low immunity. Mortality rate in Italy: 14.8% of people over 80 died, 10.5 % of people with diabetes died, 6% of people with Hypertension died (WHO 2020). One of the main factors that influence all diseases and increase the risk of dying is poor nutrition, with many nutrients deficiencies.
- Globally, one in five deaths are associated with a poor diet (Lancet 2019)
- There is currently a substantial shortage of healthcare workers, which is expected to increase over the coming decades. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimated that by 2035 there will be a shortage of 12.9 million health care workers.
Solution Providing ultra-customized, accurate and comprehensive nutritional recommendations to increase immunity and optimize an individual's health:
- by analyzing and tracking blood, urine, genetic and digital markers.
- using a patent-pending algorithm that takes into consideration self-reported eating habit, weight goals and medical restrictions data.
- monitoring blood pressure, calorie consumption, body fat, etc. evolution through wearable
- connecting with healthcare providers using telemedicine facility Clients, which are using the online services are able to determine the proper food and if they need they will receive at their home all nutrients "Made for me" to cover their deficiencies in one, single pill /day.
Market The personalized nutrition market is projected to grow from USD 8.2 billion in 2020 to USD 16.4 billion by 2025, recording a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.0% during the forecast period. The major factors driving the growth of the personalized nutrition market include the increasing health awareness among consumers, better understanding of health and fitness, and the growing trend of adopting digital healthcare solutions. https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/PressReleases/personalized-nutrition.asp
There are a lot of competitors on precision nutrition booming market and we are very well prepared to take a top position offering: free services, the most comprehensive, accurate ultra-personalized nutritional recommendation package and nutritional management solutions for everybody.
After a very deep analysis of the competitors, we succeed to create conditions to comprise in NutriCare.Life all the benefits from all competitors. On top of this, we provide telemedicine facilities Our patent-pending algorithm that takes into consideration the most comprehensive set of bio and digital markers in the market. On tests portfolio, we will have own developed tests and all other relevant tests from the market covering all the segments: premium, main, economic The most important advantage, which is unique worldwide, is that our users can be their own nutritionists, using NutriCare.Life. They can find prevention and therapeutic nutritional solution using this tool.
Team Our team has developed first, the genetic test which can analyze 400 genetic variations and 98 genes that translated the DNA into actionable data. From that point onward we have received feedback regarding the application of the information from the genetic reports. Thus we have decided to start a journey towards the creation of the most advanced digital health platform that will include all the latest technologies and all the science data in order to make it available for everyone.
We have the necessary knowledge: Simona Maria Ivanov (MD) - responsible for products developments Experienced in pharma industries as Senior Products and Business Unit Manager at Abbott Nutrition, specialized in developing new products on the market. https://www.linkedin.com/in/simona-maria-ivanov-84a04b2/
Mircea Ivanov (BA) - responsible for business development An entrepreneur with experience in international sales, direct sales and digital health. Studying Master Degree at CBS in Business and Innovation in Healthcare. https://www.linkedin.com/in/mircea-ivanov/
Mihai Niculescu (MD, PhD, Researcher), responsible for research and development Associate Professor at Timisoara Medical University, an internationally recognized specialist in nutrigenetics area with more than 15 years' experience as a genetic lab manager. https://www.linkedin.com/in/mihai-niculescu-1a863a37/
Bogdan Ivanov (BSc, BBA), responsible for IT project management, administration and operations Experienced in management, operations and IT project management, worked more than 15 years in C level positions in multinational companies. Knowledge in nutrition and life science area. https://www.linkedin.com/in/bogdan-ivanov-79496511/
Martin Kohlmeier (MD, PhD, Researcher), responsible for nutrition advisory Professor at University of NC from USA, Secretary of International Associations of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics. Writer in the field of genetics. https://www.linkedin.com/in/martin-kohlmeier-26a90530/
Gabriel Moldoveanu (BSc), responsible for Web & Mobile development, Software engineer, knowledge of computer systems and technology, multiple programming languages, designing databases. https://www.linkedin.com/in/gabriel-moldoveanu-228343181
Daniela Stoian (PhD), Nutrition consultancy, part-time Biologist, master in genetics, nutrition master trainer with 16 years of experience in the research field of nutrition, microbiology and biotechnology,
Radu Aldea (BSc), Mobile software development, part-time Software engineer specialized in iOS application development.
Gabriela Moga, (BSc) Financial advisor Accounting expert and fiscal consultant with experience in bank administration
Forecast We expect to have 3.7 million unique visits on our digital health platform in the following 5 years, and according with our estimation between 1 and 3% will use our services. The revenue expected to make: -In the first year of business, we will make 130,000 euro mainly from the sales of the already developed nutrigenetic test
- In the second year, we will add sales from services provided by digital health platform NutriCare.Life and also from new tests added on our portfolio, blood, urine and gut microbiome, we will make a revenue of 700,000 euro
- Starting with the third year, based on the marketing investment and the availability of all the services and tests we will make 2.3 million revenue.
- In the next 2 years, the revenue will double from year to year. In the 3rd year, we will be profitable.
Financing Needed In order to scale at the European level, we need an investment in the value of 1.1 million in the next 2 years