With the transition to a remote work environment, online communication has become a necessity. Ideas are often omitted from documentation due to the lack of accessibility features. With the workplace evolving to online pathways, there is a growing need for a centralized notation service with several features to overcome user negligence, provide efficient support for daily activities and enhance productivity.
What it does
Some of the features include:
- Summarize notes for active recall and daily scrum with Google/Alexa compatibility.
- Convert handwritten notes to text.
- Convert speech to text.
- Classify notes with categories and form relevant hyperlinks.
- Search functionality to look up similar notes.
- Image pane for visual learning and handwritten notes for reference.
How we built it
- Stored notes data using CockroachDB's minimum failure risk, and scalability across multiple nodes.
- Autosaves after a certain period of time to avoid loss of data using PostgreSQL queries.
- Created a matching/grouping logic for classifying notes under the NLP generated categories.
- Reverse search query to look for keywords in notes using CockroachDB's millisecond response times.
- Alter/Insert/Delete logic.
- Set up Google & Alexa devices to recite summaries of notes based on the 'Active Recall' principle.
- Google Cloud Vision: Handwriting to Text.
- Google Cloud NLP: Text analysis & Classification.
- DeepAI: Summarizing text to 20%.
- Back-End: Node.js
- Front-End: HTML/CSS & Bootstrap
Challenges we ran into
- Encapsulating all the different APIs into a single web application and ensuring minimal time delays between different calls.
- Integrating our backend API endpoints with Voiceflow to perform operations on our Google Home device.
What's next for NoteSus
- Use data in ML models to track progress curves and performance (eg: similar to premium JIRA for free with custom models and new parameters to track).
- User login system (Currently built for open access, can simply add Oauth functionality to restrict to certain groups).
- Automated email notifications and calendar events.
- Real-time collaboration.