NoDistance a site to harness the power of peace. Social distancing is preventing communities from meeting in person, but digital platforms allow peace messaging and digital storytelling to continue. Social media , blogs, podcasts and online forums are being used by peacebuilders as ways to ensure they can stay connected and active online. Peacebuilders have tapped into powerful online communities to mobilize and drive social change for peace in a time of social distancing. Open and inclusive spaces to exchange and share knowledge have helped develop new partnerships and opportunities for collective analysis and action
💻 What it does
NoDistance offers you platform for posting blogs and chat platform where you can chat with others. Key features of blog:
- Writing blog
- Display by category
- Display by user
- Like a blog
Key features of Chat room:
- make a room
- Enter in active rooms
- Only creator can end the room.
⚙️ How it works
- After login, user can enter chatroom and chat with others.
- In blog section use can write their blogs, display blogs by categories, like others blogs
🔨 How we built it
- We used Figma to design the web app, and brought our design into reality through HTML , CSS and for backend we use Django. We got an exposure to wonderful sponsor technologies and used them in our project -- namely Auth0 , CockroachDB (more details given below).
⭕ Use of CockroachDB
- We used CockroachDB as database because it is an easy to use, open-source, and indestructible SQL database. It works well with Containers like Kubernetes and compatible with Postgresql.
Use of Auth0
- We used Auth0 authentication system for LogIn of users because we wanted to make an application very very secure. Auth0 provides the most extensive functionality to ensure the user authentication and authorization, with detailed analytics, a variety of available providers, and a diverse set of user-friendly tools the developer will really like. During the app development, we used social services to log-in like using Google which supported by Auth0.
🧠 Challenges we ran into
- Completing the given project on time
🏅 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Completing a project that makes a difference in the lives of pepople.
- Learning a lot: from workshops, sponsor technologies, competitors, MLHERS, and from each other.
- Defeating the barriers , and working extra hard to complete this project.
📖 What we learned
- We learnt a lot about Auth0 and CockroachDB: went through their neat documentation and we were glad to be able to use their services in our hackathon project.
- We learnt the importance of collaboration.
🚀 What's next for NoDistance:- The PeaceHouse
- We plan to refine the user experience and improve our service based on the feedback of users around the world.
Required to install and run the software:
Installing and Running
From the project folder, run these commands in console (terminal) to install dependencies and run the app:
pip install -r requirements.txt
python manage.py runserver