- If food waste was a country, it would be the third biggest emitter of green house gases, after the United States and China.
- According to the FDA, in the United States alone, about 30-40% of food is wasted.
- Globally, about one third of food, or 1.3 tons, is thrown into the dumpster, costing us $940 billion each year And some of food waste comes down to the choices we make. Have you ever ordered more than you could eat and had no option but to throw out your food? Or over ordered food only to find the restaurant's portions are very large? No Waste is here to help!
What it does
No Waste brings the latest VR technology to your fingertips to allow you to order better portion sizes. Open the app, scroll down to your favorite restaurant and your food of choice, and you will see the final product before it arrives to your plate. This way, you can make smart choices about how much food to order. Also it helps restaurants estimate the food that customers want to it so that it avoids waste of food. Whether if it's a Netflix movie night with your family or a takeout for yourself, No Waste has you covered!
How we built it
We used Figma as our main platform to design the app. We used AR to create the 3D version of the food. We used ejs view engine, Express for backend and mongodb for storing data.
Challenges we ran into
Unable to send data to restaurant, due to some issues. Working with AR technology was a challenge, and we ran across many issues when attempting to get it to work with our camera and on mobile. We were getting error after error. At the end, we managed to get a 3D version of a food sample for our demo, but hope to solve this issue in the future so our app can properly display food choices as advertised!
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Doing a project that is both in line with perspective of both restaurant and customer. And that can help reduce food waste. Creating a logo, and even finalizing color palettes were all fun creative challenges that we took on. From wire frame to prototyping to design, working with Figma was a rewarding learning challenge!
What we learned
From beginners to experienced, there was plenty to learn both with Figma and coding with AR, Learned how to integrate view engine ejs with express and authentication and it's advantages over using react.
What's next for No Waste
Future updates include:
- Sending data to restaurants
- Adding calories amount for each food