Wouldn't it be nice not to worry about how long you're running? How about enjoying your workout while listening to music? And, once it's finished, the music stops, and you know that you're done for the day. Then, Music Runner is for you!
What it does
Music Runner asks you for the minutes that you're planning to run. With this information, it then generates a playlist from the music you have in your mobile phone, that takes as long to listen as the time you will be running (or as close as possible). Just put your headphones on and get going!
How we built it
We developed the app using Android Studio (Java) and testing with our own phones.
Challenges we ran into
It was the first time that two of us developed on Android and Java, and none of us had ever worked with internal storage or media playing on Android, so we had to learn everything on the go.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Learning about the knapsack problem and writing an algorithm for it to generate the playlist
What we learned
- How Android and Android Studio works
- Managing audio playback and other things needed
- The flow of work during a hackathon
What's next for Music Runner
- Get it to work
- Add other features such as song selection by BPM, saving playlists, tracking geolocation and relate it to the songs...