Inspiration

We were driven by the passion to share popular music across history and engage users with our platform.

What it does

Using the top 100 weekly hits from the Billlboard Hot 100 amassing about 326,000 entries. Out of these, there are about 30,000 unique songs. The result, on Musera's website, it would output the five random songs on individual pages with the corresponding album artwork, 30-second song snippet and track title.

How we built it

Using pandas, we compiled the .csv of songs into data-frames which were then randomly sorted to produce five songs. Using Spotify's web development service we created an API in which we searched and gathered data provided by Spotify. This included cover art, audio snippets, and track titles. All of this has been performed on python. Using Django, the scripts would be hosted on Google Cloud and would interact with the front-end of the program on HTML.

Challenges we ran into

The biggest challenge we ran into was designing the API, and trying to use Django on the backend of the web application. Especially trying to run our python scripts using on-click actions on our HTML website.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We were especially proud of this project because programming is new to half of our group. Especially designing algorithms and backend web development. It is very exciting to have gotten this far on what would be the first project for many of us.

What we learned

We learned that staying positive and working on a time crunch brings the best out of all of us. The hysteria of staying up late into the night working on a website is a tall task for most, but we were persistent and overachieved all expectations we had in the beginning of the weekend.

What's next for Musera

What is next would be trying to get django to work and host the website successfully on google cloud servers. More importantly, trying to have python programs run using HTML on-click events.

Share this project:

Updates