What it does
The indigenous comic and animation industry in Africa has continued to evolve and make commendable strides despite its early days riddled with under-representation, low quality, low visibility and other issues that battle a new creative industry within the continent.
Despite the scarcity of formal training opportunities, locally-made productions are already starting to take off, however there are existing challenges faced by content creators in this space. Many encounter obstacles in getting their content to a wide audience, and this is one of the problems that Muse solves.
MUSE is set to give African stories and story tellers a voice on the global scene; to help African Comic Book creators make merchandise of their content and showcase Africa's rich culture and diversity to the rest of the world. Imagine a comic book artist all the way in Madagascar creates a comic series, uploads it on the MUSE app and someone all the way in Japan reads such a comic, at the same time the comic artist in Madagascar earns revenue through views and impressions on his content in the app. This is what MUSE is about; empowering the African Comic book artist, script writer, inker, colourist etc.
How we built it
We built a flutter app, and a Django API. The app fetches data from and sends data to the API.
When a publisher uploads their comic on the app, it becomes accessible by all users in the app.
The MUSE app has an in-app currency called KAURI.
KAURI will be the basic utility coin within the app. Kauris can be gotten either through
- Purchase on app
- Received as Gift from other app users
- Earned through referrals or rewarded add
Once purchased, the consumption of the coin will on apply to premium features within the app.
These Premium Features Include:
- Ability to download comic episodes for offline reading
- Ads become disabled
- Ability to GIFT Kauri to other users
- Ability to GIFT Kauri to Publishers
- Access to read/download “Comics Labelled as PREMIUM”
Challenges we ran into
- Integrating Rust Smart Contracts
- Building a stable reliable team with the required skillset.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Bringing together a team of bright minds(developers and content creators) to create a masterpiece.
- Comic App Launch
- Token creation on Solana Main Net
What's next for Muse
- We'll be commencing a Mega Comic Book Contest all over Africa.
- Development of African Animations Streaming Platform.
- Commencement of NFT Campaign
N.B: The latest update of the MUSE app is currently undergoing review. It will soon be live.