At the start of the hackathon, we didn't have any ideas, however, we wanted to challenge ourselves and at the same time work on something fun and new. Once the challenge of murder on the 2nd floor was introduced by the sponsors, it was the perfect project for us to work on because of how unique and interesting it sounded.
What it does
The project acts as a tool that aids a forensic team in narrowing down their suspects and able to effectively allow them to gather clues. The tool prioritizes the use of an organised database that includes all the movements and times of where the guests were and where they went, before the murder.
How we built it
First we had to find an efficient way to import all the data that was given into the database. Java was used to connect with mongodb server, which allowed us to use java to parse through the json file with the data, and directly inserting the parsed data into the mongodb database. Kotlin was used to manipulate the data, such as time to find a guest's exact location at different times.
Challenges we ran into
One of the challenges we ran into was figuring out how to parse through the data in the json file, because we were not familiar with how to parse on java, secondly we face problems with finding a way to insert the parsed data into the database using java.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Being able to communicate effectively and being able to carefully plan ahead of time together. Helping each other out with coding errors and code we could not understand. Gaining knowledge on how mongodb databases are used and implemented into different languages such as java and Kotlin.
What we learned
We learned how to implement databases into our project, how to code in Kotlin, and how to analyze data. Also, we learned how to work hard as individuals and as a team. Finally, we learned how to use the scrum method for project management and time-lining.
What's next for Murder Mystery Forensic Analysis
Next for Murder Mystery is a UI that follows the path of every single individual for the full 24 hours given the limited data. Also, another element that would added is to display the chances of someone being the killer using percentages.