As busy college students, it's difficult to decide on a place to meet up that makes everyone happy.
What it does
Mu solves this problem by allowing multiple people to join the same room, choose where they want to go on a map, and how far they're willing to deviate from that location. This map updates in real-time to make reaching a consensus easier than ever.
How we built it
We used React Native to build the front-end for both iOS and Android and a Firebase Realtime Database to store and communicate user selections across multiple devices. We also used the Google Maps Platform API to integrate location search and geocoding from Google Maps.
Challenges we ran into
We had a hard time implementing web sockets and many of us have never React Native before, so there was a steep learning curve that we had to overcome.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
What we learned
- How to develop and debug React Native applications
- How to send data to Firebase and update that data across multiple devices
- How to integrate the Google Maps Platform API for fast location lookup
- How horrible web sockets are
What's next for Mu (Meetup)
- Creating unique user IDs for each phone
- Putting the app on the App Store/Google Play Store