Find our project hosted over at https://mr.mouse-needs-cheese.co/ thanks to GoDaddy for the domain and Linode for hosting!
We all know that playing games is super fun. But what about programming? Programming is fun, but daunting to newcomers. Thus, we decided to change things up, and help you learn programming with our fun little HTML5 game.
🏡 What it does
console.log. Continuing on that, the second level helps you practice what you've learnt, and introduces the notion of walls in the game. When it comes to the 3rd level though, things jump to a new level! It's night, and you can't see the cheese anymore. That's when the player learns to use the power of variables 💪
🔨 How we built it
😢 Challenges we ran into
We ran into so many challenges that it would be impossible to list them all here 😂. However, here's a few:
- Animations: Did you know how difficult it is to get an item moving from one css grid cell to another? Finally, we realized that animations were taking a bit too much time and decided to settle for a simpler version for the time being.
- Executing synchronous code, but with a delay: Once the user enters the code, we didn't want it to be instantaneous - that would mess up how the gameplay proceeded. This was solved with a hack that you can find on line 252 in
- Stale DNS Cache: As usual, hosting the site was not straightforward, with DNS cache issues making things slow.
🏆 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Overall, we're pretty proud of how the game levels turned out to be.
- With this game, we feel like we're making an actual difference and helping people with programming :)
📖 What we learned
- We learnt how to use a css grid for the game with all the new properties that modern css brings.
- We learnt to manage some sort of internal state in the game so that switching levels could be done without a refresh of the page.
- This was the first time we used Linode, we learnt how to deploy and provision an instance on Linode to host our website.
🚀 What's next for Mr. Mouse
This is definitely not the end for Mr. Mouse. We plan on adding crisper animations, more levels with advanced topics, so that the player can learn in a fun but meaningful way!